Humans are a marvel of Nature. No, really, I mean it. Let’s take an example of the human body. The interlinking network of blood vessels, nerves, bones, organs and the whole complex interconnected system is nothing but a miracle. The synchronization in which each organ works is mainly to keep you healthy.
Most of us already know generally about the functions of the body, but, still, you might have no idea about the interesting and marvellous wonders that your body has.
So if you are as curious as me to explore the crazy, quirky and fun facts about the human body then read on:
- Your Gut has its own brain. Yes, you have read it right. Also known as the “second brain” it consists of your pancreas, stomach, gallbladder, liver, small intestine, rectum and colon. About 100 million neurons are present in the wall of the gut. This second brain is so vigorous, that it can continue working even when the connection between the vagus nerve (brain) and gastrointestinal is affected.
- If you stretch out your arteries, veins and capillaries, it can cover an area of more than 60,000 miles.
- Every hour you lose about 200 million skin cells. These skin cells are dead and are helpful in decreasing pollution.
- The cornea of your eye is transparent and it has no blood vessels in it.
- The bacteria in your gut can affect your mood. The bacteria in the gut constitute a microbiome. All these bacteria in the microbiome send signals to your brain and affect your brain’s ability to learn and memorize and impact your mood.
- The music that you listen to can actually make your heartbeat and breathing sync with each other.
- Sometimes the brain is more active while you are sleeping as compared to when you are awake.
- The human body also emits a certain amount of light but this light is too weak to be seen by the naked eye.
- In your belly button, about 67 different species of bacteria are present.
- Unless babies are one month old, they don’t shed tears.
- At about 400kmph the information zooms along the nerves.
- The size of your left lung is 10% smaller than the right lung.
- The teeth of humans are as strong as that shark teeth.
- Various other researchers, a human nose has the capacity to differentiate between a trillion various kinds of scents.
- 8% of your body weight is that of your blood.
- Daily, on average a person normally breathes in about 11,000 litres of the air.
- The sense of smell of a person is 10,000 times stronger than the taste sense.
- About a quarter of the oxygen in our body is used by our brain.
- The wrinkles in the brain if flattened would be equal to the size of the pillowcase.
- In a day, a human heart beats about 1,00,000 times, in the year about 365,00,000 times and about a billion times when you cross above 30 years of age.
- The human heart in a year would pump this much blood that it can fill an Olympic sized pool.
- The life of an eyelash is 150 days.
- Humans have unique tongue prints as well.
- Chins are only present in humans.
- Adrenaline rush causes blushing.
- The fat in a human body is enough for making 7 bars of soap.
- The small intestine of an average human is about 23 feet long.
- At the same time, you can’t swallow and breathe.
- Girls have more taste buds as compared to boys. On average, a person has about 10,000 taste buds.
- The right side of your brain controls the left side of your brain and the left side of your brain controls the right side.
- When a person is awake, the brain is able to produce the much electricity that is needed to power a light bulb.
- Your little finger alone is responsible for about 50% of your hand’s strength.
- The weight of an adult’s skin is about 3-4 kgs.
- The iron in the human body is enough to make a 2.5 cm long nail.
- The human eye has about 576 megapixels lens.
Note: Information provided is not a substitute for physician, hospital or any form of medical care. Consult your medical care providers for medical advice, treatments, and follow-up.